If you’re good at writing then you can become a freelance writer and make money out of it. But if you’re totally new to freelancing then you may be confused about where to start and that’s the reason why I’m writing this blog post.
101+ Freelance Resources, Tips, Guides, & Tools
My goal is to organize some of the best resources for freelance writers to help you kick-start your freelance writing career or to make you a better writer and make more money out of it.
Quick View — Click To Scroll
- Freelance Writing For Beginners
- Freelance Writing Tips
- How They Started
- How To Become A Better Writer
- SEO Writing Tips
- Copywriting Tips
- Guest Blogging Tips
- Writing And Publishing Ebooks
- Reverse Topics
- Freelance Writing Jobs
- Must-Use Tools
- Must-Read Blogs
Freelance Writing For Beginners
Here I’m featuring some blog posts that I find useful for beginners or those willing to work as freelance writers. They’re written by some of the best full-time freelance writers out there who are making over $5,000 a month from writing alone.
- Why You Might Never EVER Make Money As A Freelancer| Writers In Charge
- How To Get Your First Freelance Writing Client (How I Did It) | Leaving Work Behind
- 5 Reasons Why I Earn $100+ An Hour From Freelancing | Leaving Work Behind
- The 9 Challenges Of A Freelance Writer | Writers In Charge
- 9 Lessons I’ve Learned In 8 Months Of Writing For Income | Writers In Charge
- The Complete Guide To Getting Started Freelance Writing From Scratch | Elna Cain
- The Complete Guide To Finding Freelance Writing Jobs | Help Me, Naomi
- How To Start Freelance Writing: The Beginner-Friendly Guide | App Sumo
- The Ultimate Guide To Freelance Writing Jobs For Beginners | Matthew Woodward
Freelance Writing Tips
I’ve split the writing tips into different categories so as to make it more organized. It’s all about how some of the best freelancers started their writing business, how they’re getting clients, tips to become a better writer and make more money.
How They Started & How Well They’re Doing
It’s about how some of the most popular freelance writers started small and then made it a five-figure business. You can actually learn a lot from the failures and success stories of other people in your industry. For instance, read the story of James Chartrand about how she (yes, she) changed her name and tripled her income.
Taking a man’s name opened up a new world. It helped me earn double and triple the income of my true name, with the same work and service.
No hassles. Higher acceptance. And gratifying respect for my talents and round-the-clock work ethic.
Business opportunities fell into my lap. People asked for my advice, and they thanked me for it, too.
- How A Teenager Built A Five Figure Freelance Writing Business | Tuts+
- Freelance Writing: How To Find Your First Job| Leaving Work Behind
- How To Get Your First Freelance Writing Client (How I Did It) | Leaving Work Behind
- How I Make 6 Figures As A Freelance Writer | Make A Living Writing
- Why James Chartrand Wears Women’s Underpants | Copyblogger
- How I Went From $15 To $450 Per Article In Under 90 Days | Dan Stelter
- The Story Of How I Went From Broke Wannabe Writer | The Renegade Writer
- How I Earned $704 For An Article (And Got A Contract) | Writers In Charge
- How To Write 5,000 Words A Day (My Best Productivity Tips) | Writers In Charge
- How To Get Clients: A Freelancer’s Guide To Growing Your Business | OkDork
- My Journey Into Internet Marketing | Medium
- 53 Freelancing Mistakes That Are Costing You Clients, Cash And Credibility | Copyblogger
- How To Make A Living Blogging | CoSchedule
- How I Found 488 Red-Hot Freelance Writing Prospects | Make a Living Writing
- Freelancing: 2 Years, $230,000+ And 9 Big Lessons Later | Joel Klettke
- 34 Journal Prompts & Ideas to Unlock Your Writing Creativity | Smart Blogger
- 7 Great Ways To Build Your Writing Routine | LitReactor
- 11 Successful Writers Share Their Writing Routines | Product Hunt
Tips To Become A Better Writer & Make More Money
Freelancers: Network BEFORE you need to. The reason so many of you are disenchanted is you try to apply a “fast food” model to relationships. — @JoelKlettke
If you’re a freelancer or even a consultant then it’s very important to have a blog so that you can showcase your skills. If you don’t have a blog then it should definitely be one of your top priority. Why? Because your blog is your personal brand, it makes you a better writer and brings instant credibility. The following resources will help you to become a better writer.
- Start A Blog And Showcase Yourself As An Expert | Minterest
- How To Write A Good Blog Post | On My Om
- Writer’s Block? How To Blast Past The 7 Blocks That Keep You Stuck | Marie Forleo
- How Writing 1,000 Words A Day Changed My Life | Medium
- 9 Reasons Why You Should Choose Freelance Blogging | Leaving Work Behind
- How To Get More Clients And Increase Your Rate | Leaving Work Behind
- 10 Ways I’d Get Writing Clients If I Were To Start Again | Writers In Charge
- Freelance Blogging: What I Would Do If I Had To Start Again
- How To Market Your Freelance Business Without Feeling Like An Impostor | Copyblogger
- 3 Simple Ways To Find Better-Paying Writing Jobs | Make A Living Writing
- How To Use LinkedIn To Find A Job As A Freelancer (11 Pro Tips) | Smart Blogger
- 113 Things You Can Do To Grow Your Writing Income | Make A Living Writing
- Freelancing 101: When to Say ‘No’ | Design Shack
- How I Increased My Freelance Blogging Rate from $50 to $150 | Leaving Work Behind
- From Zero To $4k Per Month: How I Pitch And Land Clients | Leaving Work Behind
- Your “Hire Me” Page: Get More Clients & Increase Your Rate | Leaving Work Behind
- How to Earn $250 Per Hour As A Freelance Writer | Copyblogger
- The Difference Between Good Writers & Bad Writers | Goins, Writer
- If You’re On Upwork, You’re Not Really Freelancing | The No Pants Project
- 10 Tips for the Beginner Freelancer — Light Your Freelance Fire | The No Pants Project
- 17 Freelance Writing Niches That Still Pay Big Bucks | Smart Blogger
SEO Writing Tips
Today, content marketing is more important than ever! So it’s more likely that your clients will ask you write search engine friendly content so you’ve to make sure that you’re delivering search engine optimized content (especially if you’re a freelance blogger). The following resources shows you how to make your blog posts more search friendly.
- The Definitive Guide To Writing A Perfectly Optimized Blog Post | Minterest
- 15 Blogging Tips To Supercharge Your Blog Post | Minterest
- What Is SEO Writing? How To Be A Better SEO Writer | Ahrefs
- 14 Tips For Writing Awesome Website Content | SEMrush
- How To Craft The Perfect Writing Sample (+ Examples) | Smart Blogger
Copywriting is all about writing content to sell a product or service. It’s the art of writing a copy that sells your product or service by convincing your potential customers. Your copywriting skills are as important as SEO writing especially when you’re pitching bigger brands.
- SEO Copywriting: The Definitive Guide | Backlinko
- 101 Copywriting Dos & Don’ts | Copy Hackers
- How To Become A Copywriter & Earn Six Figures
Guest Blogging Tips
Guest blogging is all about writing a blog post on another person’s blog. In guest blogging, you write a guest post for another blog or someone else writes an article for your blog usually for free. When you become an experienced freelance blogger you can expand your portfolio by offering guest blogging services. So apart from writing content you’re going to offer placement as well on authority blogs.
- Make Money By Offering Your Services As A Guest Blogger | Writers In Charge
- The Ultimate Guide To Advanced Guest Blogging | Moz
Writing And Publishing Ebooks
If you’re a freelance writer with a lot of experience then think about converting your blog posts and resources into e-books or podcasts, or membership programs. Out of that I guess writing and selling your own e-books is the best option for starters. Visit the blog of any professional blogger or freelance writer and you’ll see that they’re selling their own digital products – like e-books, webinars, podcasts, etc. It may be free or paid but what’s interesting is that 80% of the content is already published as blog posts. So basically it’s about presenting existing blog posts in a more organized and user friendly way so that beginners will find it more useful.
- How To Publish An E-Book: Resources For Authors | Jane Friedman
- On Writing A Book | The Creative Penn
- On Publishing, Self-Publishing, Print-on-Demand, E-books | The Creative Penn
- 23 Steps To Launching A Kindle eBook That Makes Over $100 A Day
Put yourself in the shoes of your clients and think about the value addition.
- How To Outsource Content Writing For Success | SEMrush
- How To Create The Perfect Content Brief When Outsourcing | SEMrush
- What To Look For In A Professional Content Writer | Copyblogger
Freelance Writing Jobs
Think about the following marketplaces for freelancers as the starting point to make your first $100 as a freelance writer. I can’t say which one is the best but it’s going to work for you.
Think Big. Start Small. Scale Fast.
- Simply Hired
- Constant Content
- Crowd Content
- Semrush Marketplace
- ProBlogger Job Board
- BloggingPro Job Board
- Digital Point Forums
As you probably know the web has a lot of tools to increase your productivity and to organize your life. As a freelance writer you’re going to need a variety of tools so I’ve featured all of them as separate lists.
- 101 Content Marketing Tools (Free & Premium) | Minterest
- 21 Content Curation Tools | Minterest
- 37 Content Discovery Tools To Find Great Social Media Content
- 50 Google Chrome Productivity Extensions For Bloggers | Minterest
- 30 Google Chrome SEO Extensions For Bloggers | Minterest
- 101 Productivity Tools (Free & Premium) | Minterest
- 101 Social Media Tools (Free & Premium) | Minterest
- 101 Internet Marketing Tools (Free & Premium) | Minterest
- 101 SEO Tools (Free & Premium) | Minterest
You can learn a lot from other freelance writers out there and here I’m listing some of my favorite freelance blogs for freelance writers. Apart from tips and ideas they tell you how they started their full-time freelance writing business and how well they’re doing. There are a lot of other popular blogs by freelance writers but I’m not including any of them as I believe that they are more useful for bloggers and not freelance writers. But I have listed all of them in my favorite tech and marketing blogs.
- Smart Blogger
- SEMrush Blog
- Ahrefs Blog
- Buffer Blog
- Sprout Social
- Quick and Dirty Tips
- Grammarly Blog
- The Jeff Goins Blog
- Writing Revolt
- The No Pants Project Blog
- Make A Living Writing
- Nick Usborne
- Seth’s Blog
- Jim’s Marketing Blog
“If you are trying to decide among a few people to fill a position hire the best writer. It doesn’t matter if the person is marketer, salesperson, designer, programmer, or whatever, their writing skills will pay off. That’s because being a good writer is about more than writing clear writing. Clear writing is a sign of clear thinking. Great writers know how to communicate. They make things easy to understand. They can put themselves in someone else’s shoes. They know what to omit. And those are qualities you want in any candidate. Writing is making a comeback all over our society. Look at how much people email and text message now rather than talk on the phone. Look at how much communication happens via instant messaging and blogging. Writing is today’s currency for good ideas.” — Jason Fried
Have I missed any useful resources for freelance writers? If so, let me know as a comment below and I’ll be glad to feature it.
Happy Freelancing! :)
First Published: April, 2014; Last Updated: Tuesday, February 16, 2021.