I love reading blogs that offers tips for freelancers (especially freelance writers). Primarily because these blogs publish awesome content on productivity, writing tips, and marketing tips too. So many interesting blog posts are there on these blogs, which might interest you as a writer or even as a marketer.
Do you want to become a better writer? Then start reading a lot. I mean a lot.
21 Must-Read Blogs For Freelance Writers
In this post, I have decided to feature some of the blogs that I care to read any time. These blogs lets ideas to flow. Infact, there is never a dull moment when you read any of them.
I’ve also included some blog posts from each blog, so that you can get started. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a newbie or an experienced writer. They have immense value.
Apart from these blogs, you must always follow the top 10 blogs in your niche. For example, if you are writing topics on Internet Marketing and Technology, then you can also subscribe to The 100 Best Tech & Marketing Blogs You Should Be Following.
Copyblogger is perhaps the most popular content marketing blog that teaches people how to create killer content. As you probably know, Content marketing is the new SEO and the team at Copybloggers know it better than we do.
They have come out with this perfect definition on Content marketing:
Content Marketing means creating and sharing valuable free content to attract and convert prospects into customers, and customers into repeat buyers. The type of content you share is closely related to what you sell; in other words, you’re educating people so that they know, like, and trust you enough to do business with you.
So if you’re a writer and is able to deliver killer content that attracts customers, then you’re going to rock freelance writing.
- 53 Freelancing Mistakes That Are Costing You Clients, Cash, and Credibility
- The Complete Flake’s Guide To Getting Things Done
- Ten Timeless Persuasive Writing Techniques
- How to Write Damn Good Sentences
- 7 Ways to Improve Your Writing … Right Now
- 10 Ways to Write Damn Good Copy
If you know what “blog” or “blogging” is, then there’s every chance that you know Darren Rowse and ProBlogger.net. Darren is one of the world’s most successful professional bloggers. ProBlogger basically focuses on all things “Blogging & Blogging Tips,” but it’s equally useful for freelance writers as it’s about writing too.
- Creating Content: The Easy Way
- How to Write Great Blog Content
- Lessons I’ve Learnt about Blogging
- Can You Really Make Money Blogging?
- Blogging for Beginners
3. Leaving Work Behind
Tom Ewer is a full-time freelance writer freelance writer, and a blogger. At Leaving Work Behind, he shares his personal experiences as a writer and even motivates you to become a better writer.
- 18 Ways to Motivate Yourself in the Moment
- How to Overcome Fear and Chase Your Dreams (in 5 Steps)
- The Best Way to Make Money Blogging (That You’re Ignoring)
- Freelance Writing: How To Find Your First Job
4. Buffer Blog
Buffer is a social media app that helps you manage your social media accounts. The Buffer Blog is their official blog, and is not exactly about freelance writing. They excel on writing very powerful blog posts focusing on content marketing, social media, and productivity. Buffer’s blog is another classic example of acquiring customers via content marketing, because their content helped them to attract 1000s of paying customers.
- How We Research: A Look Inside the Buffer Blog Process
- How We Run a Blog with 700,000 Readers Per Month
- An Expert Guide to Idea Curation: How to Get More Ideas for Great Content
- How I Cut My Writing Time From 2 Days to 4 Hours
- 6 Ways I’ve Improved My Writing In the Past 6 months You Can Try Today
7 Blogs For Freelance Writing Tips, Advices, and Ideas
You can learn a lot from other freelance writers out there and here I’m listing some of my favorite blogs for freelance writers.
6. Men With Pens
- The Bad Writing Advice that Kills Your Success
- Why some people make money writing and others never will
- The Real Reason Why You Can’t Write
- What Your Copywriting Clients Secretly Think (But Won’t Tell You)
- The Most Powerful Secret to Winning New Clients
7. Goins, Writer
- The Secret to Effortless Writing
- Stop Waiting to Be Picked
- The Difference Between Good Writers and Bad Writers
- Why Your Work Never Feels Good Enough
8. The Write Life
- Make a Living as a Writer: A Simple Strategy That Works
- Freelancing with a Family: How to Balance Your Work and Your Kids
- 5 Details That Will Make or Break Your Freelance Writing Career
- 12 Facebook Groups for Writers You Don’t Want to Miss
- 15 Blogs That Will Help You Make Money Off Your Writing
9. Write To Done
- 201 Ways to Arouse Your Creativity
- The Art (and Science) Behind Neck-Snapping Headlines
- How to Boost Your Writing Confidence so You CAN Hit Publish
- Stuck for Ideas? 20 Quotes Telling You What To Write About
- 31 Ways to Find Inspiration for Your Writing
11. Make A Living Writing
- How I Made 6 Figures as a Freelance Writer in 2011
- How I Make $5,000 a Month as a Paid Blogger
- 3 Simple Ways to Find Better-Paying Freelance Writing Jobs
12. Grammar Girl
Grammar Girl is:
Your friendly guide to the world of grammar, punctuation, usage, and fun developments in the English language.
3 Blogs For Tips About All Things In Life
The next three blogs are for daily inspiration and writing ideas. If you’re a writer who focuses on lifestyle topics, then make sure that you don’t miss any of these.
13. Zen Habits
- Simplify the Internet
- The 7-Step Method to Find Focus for Writing
- How I Tackle a Big Writing Project
- How Creativity Works, & How to Do It
- How to Kill Your Excuses
- Stop Reading About It and Do It
14. The Daily Positive
- 10 Ways To Instantly Have Confidence
- 15 Simple Ways To Get Confidence Back
- 20 Signs You’re Succeeding In Life Even If You Don’t Feel You Are
Well, you can call me biased to include my own blog here when it’s not exactly about freelancing. But I just wanted to highlight some of my blog posts, that are meant for freelance writers. :)
- The Definitive Guide To Writing A Perfectly Optimized Blog Post
- 15 Blogging Tips To Supercharge Your Next Blog Post
- Make Money Writing Articles: 37 Blogs That Pay Up To $300 For Your Guest Posts
- Freelance Writing Jobs: Over 51 Places To Find Freelance Writing Gigs
- The Freelance Writer’s Handbook — 101+ Tips, Resources & Guides
17. Quick Sprout
If you’re a digital marketer then you know Neil Patel and his Internet marketing blog Quick Sprout. Yes, it is true that he writes mostly about Internet marketing and Blogging. I highly recommend the blog for any freelance writer,as there is much to be learnt from his experiences.
- Neil Patel’s Guide to Blogging
- How to Get Your Blog Posts Read
- How I Write 8 Blog Posts a Week While Running 2 Companies
- The Complete Guide to Building Your Personal Brand
- The Advanced Guide to Content Marketing
- The Complete Guide To Building Your Blog Audience
Medium is not actually a blog, but a new publishing platform like WordPress.com, Blogger.com, etc. If you’ve written a good piece of content or a story, then you can publish it on Medium. Likewise, you can discover interesting articles by other members. They even select their Top 10 stories every month. What makes Medium different from traditional blogging platforms is that you don’t need large audience or subscribers to get attention. It is proven.
- How to Stop Procrastinating by Using the “2-Minute Rule”
- A Love Letter to Confident Women
- If You Commit to Nothing, You’ll Be Distracted By Everything
- 100 Tips About Life, People, and Happiness
- 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life
- Seven Proofs You are Amazing!
- How To Do Work
- Innovation often starts with the ordinary.
19. Jim’s Marketing Blog
I subscribed to Jim’s blog recently only, and I totally love it. He provides regular marketing tips with great value. What’s interesting is that his blog posts are short, and easy to consume, with great value.
- Top Marketing Tips
- Why too few people read your blog and how to fix it!
- Internet Marketing: Aim for meaning, not traffic!
- How to do your best work
- If you don’t like the way your future looks, change it!
20. Seth Godin
Seth Godin is an American author, veteran marketer, and a public speaker. Again, his blog posts about marketing tips and business are also short, valuable, and to the point.
- In search of meaningful
- Looking for the sure thing
- The first thing you do when you sit down at the computer
- The quickest way to get things done and make change
- Words. Sentences. Paragraphs. Stories.
21. The No Pants Project
The No Pants Project is all about freelancing!
- How To Know If You’re Ready To Be A Full-time Freelancer (Free Checklist)
- Want to Earn Six Figures In Your Pajamas? These Freelancers Will Show You How
- If You’re On Upwork, You’re Not Really Freelancing
- 10 Simple Ways to Land High-Paying Clients on LinkedIn (for Free)
- Are You Making Mistakes When Pricing Freelancing Projects
- How To Price Your Creative Services to Attract Clients
I’m not a professional writer and it’s possible that I might have missed your favorite blog. If you have any favorites other than these, let me know as a comment below and I’ll be glad to review and add it to the above list.
So which is your favorite blog that offers great value to freelance writers and bloggers?
Happy Freelancing! :)
First Published: July 15, 2014; Last Updated: Monday, August 27, 2018.